Columbia College, Eugene's first institution of higher learning, on College Hill near 19th Avenue and Olive Streets. Exterior. View of 2-story, square stone building with fanlight over entrance and small trees planted on grounds. The College was sponsored by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church; its first president was E.P. "Pinky" Henderson. The school was open for only 4 years, 1856 to 1860. Buildings were burned twice and a dispute over the slavery issue finally closed its doors in 1860. Photograph of a lithograph.